One of the survival lessons that I remember my dad teaching me when I was a kid, was to make sure that none of my friends attempt to “hold me back ” or restrain me during a conflict or fight.
Last night I watched a Youtube video, (snippet embedded below) and in the video, some men were attempting to assault a couple, the man’s girlfriend attempted to “hold him back” from fighting. I’m going to tell you why this is wrong, and why you should never do this.
- If you are attempting to hold me back, you are now creating a distraction. You are something else to focus on other than the issue at hand. This is not good, all it takes is one second to get knocked out, as evident by this video. Don’t be the distraction that gets me knocked out.
- If you are attempting to hold me back, then that means you are probably going for my hands. How can I effectively defend us, or attack if you are attempting to restrain my hands? Once again, don’t disable me in the fight, and don’t get me knocked out, by holding my hands. If you do that, I will treat you like a hostile, and I will take whatever action necessary to neutralize the danger you now pose to my safety. Don’t join the enemy’s side by trying to restrain me.
- If you are attempting to stop a fight, then that means you are in the middle of it. This is a surefire way to get hit accidentally by me, or intentionally by the assailant. Not to mention you can get stabbed, shot, and the list of potentials goes on and on. Do not become a human shield by interfering in the fight.
I always tell my wife, son, sister, and anyone who I spend time with, (I’m telling you guys now too) if there is a conflict, you stand behind me. If you are capable of contributing to the resolution, then you get beside me. But you never get in my way, or attempt to restrain me. Trust me, I don’t look for fights, if I am involved in a physical conflict, then it’s safe to say that I have exhausted all other options, or that I have no options. So don’t get in the way, you might think you are helping, but you do more harm than good. If you still don’t get it, don’t worry, just reread points 1-3 again. Read them over and over until you get it.
Take this life lesson, and don’t be like that man’s girlfriend in the video. Fortunately, he knocked one guy out relatively easily, and was able to subdue the other guy without much effort, even with his meddling, interfering girlfriend attempting to hold him back. Notice how she almost got hit? That’s point number 3 on that one. Don’t be an idiot, and don’t ever, ever do that.
Don’t hold me back in a fight!
Latest posts by Angel Rodriguez (see all)
- Why I’m not competing in BJJ tournaments - 06-14-2019
- Lawmakers skip 9/11 hearing, Jon Stewart rips them apart - 06-12-2019
- X-Men Dark Phoenix bombed Friday due to bad marketing! - 06-11-2019